Tuesday, July 14, 2009


DEFINE: Home: place where something began and flourished; an environment offering affection and security; relating to or being where one lives or where one's roots are...

I was able to venture home to see my family and friends for the 4th of July. That weekend was met with some unexpected surprises as well as expected fellowship and family time.
I love getting together with my family. My mom’s side was the only crew that came for this Fourth of July.

It was a joy to see my first and beautiful pregnant cousin Beth and her husband Philip. They are such a wonderful caring and fun part of our family. I cannot wait to see one of the newest member in our family and see both Philip and Beth love that child with all their heart.
I finally met Chris briefly and although I would have liked to have spent more time with the two of them I am impressed by my sister’s maturity. I do hope whatever the future holds that God’s grabs hold of their heart and never lets go. She has been job searching and enjoying her summer.
My poppa was there smiling and always waiting to give me a hug and kiss and ask me “haw ya doing sugar doll”. For someone in their 90’s you would never have guessed it.

My Aunt Candy and Uncle Bill have always had a special place in my heart. At times they remind me of two parts of myself. My Uncle Bill’s competitive-push-you-to-do-your-best attitude and his words of wisdom are always mixed with some type of military metaphor and loving sarcasm. And my Aunt Candy is part of my back bone. Her loving, spirit-filled words and classy demeanor have always struck me with and idea that I could be that person someday. She knows when exactly to send me words of encouragement and thoughts that I myself am struggling to put into words. Both are a complete joy to be around and was happy to have seen them.

I must say within the past months I have really begun to see and connect with my Aunt Terry and Uncle Danny. My Aunt Terry is so devoted to always helping out. Her service attitude has been an inspiration to me. My Uncle Danny is always a man of few words but when they are said they are precise and pointed. I know that whatever comes from him is thought out, and prayed over. They have always been key players in my life and yet when I started to become a part of the World Orphans ministry I was really able to appreciate more the task of support based ministry that they have lived for so long. It truly is a lifelong calling that has driven them and where I am beginning to follow.

Although Dusty was not able to join us in the festivities and let chaos reign we thought of him often, asking for big but safe fires. :) His girlfriend Rachel was able to join us and talking with her is like talking with a longtime friend. She has such a bubbly contagious sense of humor that you cannot help but enjoy being around her.

I cannot leave out my parents. Going home is not just to a warm house, good food and relaxing environment. Going home is when I walk out of the airport and see my mom and sister waiting for me at 10:00pm at times. Being home is when I walk in the door and I see my dad in his work clothes focused on the task at hand and then glances up to see and shock is written on his face. Every time I see my dad he is always shocked to see me home and then wraps me up in a big bear hug. Sitting with him and talking about life, dreams, goals, work and knowing I can just talk for hours and he will never once think about doing anything but sitting with me. My dad used to tell me that he would pinch me when I was a baby because he loved how my tears would make my eyes sparkle. Now, the tears come from just seeing him and being so proud of what he does. Sparkling with excitement of hearing how his last trip went, enthused when he asked me to help him package up medical supplies to take on his next trip, rolling my eyes at times when he tells me I need to go back to school, laughing as he plays the wii, or sparkling with satisfaction that I showed him something new to do on the computer.

Then there is my mom. My mom is a piece of my heart and life, without her the void would be unbearable. There are times when we can talk for hours or 5 minutes and I know that things will be ok. I am so proud of her and her on fire spirit for helping others. I love to pray and so does she. When she prays I feel an instant knowing that she is talking directly God, our Father. I love when she offers to make me food and I sit in the kitchen and chat about any and everything. Whatever the past, present, and future has or will be my mom will always have a special part in it.

I just love how God designed me for my parents. That truly is a miracle when you consider that I am not biologically theirs or even related to my other siblings and family members. Yet they love me, support me, and I love them and support them. I revel in the fact that they are my friends and family.

No comments: