Friday, March 6, 2009

Quiriqua Ruins and Asquipulas

I have been able to grasp a deeper understanding of the culture and traditional as I visit churches and Mayan ruins such as the Quiriqua Ruins. 65-70% of the people here are of Mayan descent. Knowing the background and reasoning behind many of the traditions has allowed me to learn of the proper etiquette, religious traditions, and some general ways of thinking to be aware of. Quiriqua Ruins was a sight to behold. The ancient ruins we somewhat small in comparison to other ruins (or so I am told) but the way they lived was very similar. Death was very much a big presence as it is now- maybe even more so. I say this because there were games played much like basket ball only more brutal of a game and a player was killed at the end of the game. Can you imagine the NBA sacrificing a “Michael Jordan” just for the loss of a game? Do you think our players would have such a bad attitude if we did that? Just a thought….

Asquipulas was a little disappointing. We went to “behold” the Black Jesus. Yes, that is what it is called and by no means did I write that offend anyone. The city of Asquipulas thrives on this tourist attraction. I am not sure what I was expecting up but as we walked into this ornate church building it seemed to be like every other catholic church I had seen here. The black Jesus turned out to be a black/bronzed Jesus. There were walls adorned with written praises, plaques, personal jewelry, flowers, and all kinds of paraphernalia used to thank this “Black” Jesus for the miracles he has performed. Needless to say BJ and I found it a pleasant trip and the time we spent together was well enjoyed. However, we both agree we would not recommend it. The Questions I now ask myself is do the local people visit this statue, pray to this statue, offer gifts to it just because he is the “black” Jesus? Do they pray to the idol or do they know he is a symbol? Are the “miracles” performed actually real? And does the faith that they have save them and do they realize it if not?

No comments: